Programs for Children
Music Composition Acadamies
The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra invites you to be part of the Music Composition Academy! The Music Composition Academy will serve as a catalyst for community while teaching students to express their creativity and write original music.
Daily music composition lessons and activities will be part of the Music Composition Academy; with an emphasis on cultural understanding and finding human commonalities.
2023 Dates Announced!
Sisseton Wahpeton College: Monday, June 19 – Friday, June 23 2023
Black Hills State University: Monday, July 10 – Friday, July 14 2023
Complete the following application form by Friday, May 12, 2023:
- Ages – Middle school through high school age students
- Must have a desire to learn about music and music composition.
- Basic knowledge of reading music (can read music in either bass or treble clef or tablature, knowledge of note values, rhythm, dynamics, etc.).
- Can play a musical instrument reasonably proficiently.
- Students must attend all days of academy including private lessons in music composition.
- Participate in an evaluation process.
There is no cost to attend the Music Composition Academy. Students must be committed to attending all activities to participate.
Students will have daily one-on-one composition lessons and at the conclusion of the music academy have a fully formed piece of music for either string quartet or wind quintet. Students will work and collaborate directly with the professional musicians of the SDSO who will give a public performance of their completed compositions.
Music Composition Academies will be held in two locations: Sisseton, SD (day camp) and Black Hills State University (overnight camp)